FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index FieldCrumpets Talk
Everything there is to talk about Field Crumpets (And then some)

FAQFAQ   Search   Memberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Team names and other stats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Crumpets Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SombraAla
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Team names and other stats Reply with quote

Alright - since I have a database of team names, and who won and lost - I can now do things like statistically prove that the longer team name usually wins... so without further ado

Teams with longer names win more games than shorter team names, by a margin of 5-3 (with 3 games actually having the same length team names for both sides)

Teams named with the word "suck" do tend to, well, suck - losing 4 matches and winning only 1 ("We Suck at Team Names")

Longest team name is:
"The Green Grass Grows All Around, All Around. The Green Grass Grows All Around. HEY" at 84 characters long, and they lost, amazingly enough to "The String Beans" - I guess the name was so long it made them too tired after saying it.

Rob and I have had two names named after us (although one of Rob's was also named after a building) but all of my names that were named after me won and all of Rob's lost. Robbie and Cecelia and Pat each have one name named after them.

Bob Dole also has two names named after him, (which he won)

Shortest name was "" and I was on that team - we were just as confused as you are. (but we won

Having "We" in a name is good, winning overall 10-6, with one game having two "we"s in it, and one loser had "suck" which must've overpowered the goodness of the "we". "We're" though, has only won 2 and lost 3.

The average length of a winning team name is 20.65 characters and the average length of a losing team is 18.42 characters.

And now for some non-name stats:

Average losing score of a 10 point game is 4.8, there have been 6 shutouts in 85 games, and 6 games that the losing team ended one point short at 9.

There have been 5 half games.

The most games played in one match is 5 games, done three times, and we usually play 3.03 games.

We've played at most 5 games in a month (recorded), done in March, July and August, and only had 1 game in January and 2 in June (although I think we did more in June and lost the scores and whatnot).

Finally - winning teams score more points than losing teams every time!

That's all I have to work with - hope it's interesting
ku packman

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time we play, I call the rights to the name "the green rob sucks all around, the green rob sucks all around. HEY."

it will definitely lose, because:

rob is in the name (twice)
sucks is in the name (twice)
the name is ridiculously long

i most certainly do not want to name the opposing team "We Greg Bob Dole" that'd be like forfeiting a game
Visit poster's website
SombraAla
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, but possibly in naming, if there are two Robs, maybe it will become a very powerful advantage, like if Rob was worth -10, then maybe two robs would be multiplying the two and getting 100.... you never know
ku packman

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa... man. but, there's gotta be some secret larger-than-life meaning to the trends in crumpet names. your research is only scratching the surface. teams whose names start with vowels, what is their record?? hmmm....
Visit poster's website
ku packman

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-3. that's what i figure the record is to teams with names that start with vowels. they were 7-0 at one point, but they've been 3-3 since then. a trend, i dunno? it's a mystery!
Visit poster's website
SombraAla
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the team names that start with a,e,i,o,u that won (I put them in code form cause that's how it came out of MySQL and I'm lazy)
First name is winner, second name is loser.

And hopefully you can read this stuff.... if not I'll try to figure out how to make it work for you.
Code:
Ok... Whatever                                   | Brunch Baller           
Ill Tempered Notion                              | Crumpets > Karate
Ewww... Robbie Sweat                             | The Cecelia Bots       
Art and Design Majors                            | Business Majors           
I Stabbed Myself in the Toe with an Exacto Knife | Maino                   
Avogadro's Number                                | France                 
I'm a Loser, Baby, so Why Don't You Kill Me      | White T-Shirt Losers     
I'm Not a Name Guy                               | Djibuti, Djibuti       
Iraqi Military PooPoo Heads                      | 42                     
It's on the ground and he's stabbing it with     | You Got Newbs           
Extraordinary Chocolate Covered Boxed Jellyfish  | A Little Closer       
One is the loneliest number                      | Perfect Evening         
Older, more experienced, but none the wiser      | Same spot, less filling

These are the names of the teams that begin with a,e,i,o,u and lost.
Code:

Sportsbra                               | Athletic Supporters             
Patrick Thinks You're Ugly              | Ultimate Sucks                   
We Suck at Team Names                   | Orange Pants                     
Fashionably Tasty Whining Cuisinart     | Allergic to H2O                 
Seldom Do We                            | Oh! I thought you said elephant!
Extraordinary Chocolate Covered Boxed...| A Little Closer             
Bob Dole's Toaster Pants                | Aagghh! Too Many Campers!       

13-7, but now we have to see that one is a vowel on vowel, so then kinda like 12-6, and then if we say that Bob Dole and Sucks take precedence then it's 12-4, and then most of the winning vowel names were longer than the losing names, but it's still 12-4...
ku packman

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, I missed some of those games altogether. i just checked the results page. i didn't see the last 3 teams on the winning side and the last 3 teams on the losing side. hmm.. oh well
Visit poster's website
Sumobob2

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for all you Lawrence crumpeters. Would you guys like for us to start posting the names of the people who are on each team in the results section? As one looks back at the old games, one can see who won in any given week all the way back, but time has worked its magic and most of us probably can't remember who was on what team (for better or for worse). If you're interested, I can start noting who is on each team after each game, and I can post that.

Please respond and let me know if you'd like to see this new step taken.
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been doing this at ISU and thought it was cool. Also - noting who's captain would be nice cause I believe the first three games I was there yesterday, the non-captain team won.
Rapidtoad

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Exactly Reply with quote

Yeah you should post who was on what team. Just for the sake of good memories and maybe even a list of gregs injuries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Crumpets Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: