FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index FieldCrumpets Talk
Everything there is to talk about Field Crumpets (And then some)

FAQFAQ   Search   Memberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Crumpet Venues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Crumpets Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melruth

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Crumpet Venues Reply with quote

So, where else has crumpets taken place? The lawn in front of AFH, of course. And then some middle school in Leawood, I think. I don't know where else.

Have you ever considered the lawn in front of Fraser? It's big and open and flat and cushion-y (with grass). I've played kickball there. So it's big enough.

And more people walk by fraser, since it's right by Watson library. So, more people will think we are crazy! Not that that's a bad thing. And the lawn in front of fraser is much closer to me.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can say that at Cornell it has taken place on the Arts quad (day and night), the Ag quad (night), and at Stewart Park (day). Sadly we don't play night crumpets on the arts quad anymore, due to amount of inebriated traffic through there in the wee hours of the night. Have you folks in Kansas ever tried playing night crumpets anywhere? All it seems to take is a field thats moderately well lit. We've played it several times now up here with a good deal of success.
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played night games at many places actually. The first night game I played was actually an attempted glow-in-the-dark game, but it failed pretty badly except for the lighted posts that we had. I had gotten mini-glowsticks and put them on the posts (different colors for the different posts even) and you could see them wonderfully in the dark field. The glow-in-the-dark spraypaint I had gotten didn't work a smidge, but fortunatly there was enough light to reflect off of the silver ball that we could see it. I'm now attempting to get moon-balls (5 dollars) which are crumpet type glow-in-the-dark material balls, which would most definatly glow a lot better than the spraypaint. When I get it taken care of you can be sure that there will be stuff about that on here. Other night games have occured on Tuesdays when we stayed to late at Allen Field House, and of course the infamous Tau-bent-his-nose game which was rather crazy since we really had the most poorly lit field in the area.

Personally, one reason I like Allen Field House so much is that it's really easy to tell people where it's at - people both from KU and outside of KU have a pretty easy time finding it, considering the part the fieldhouse plays in local college basketball . I don't know much about the Fraser lawn, but that will have to be decided by people that know more about the place.

As for where else it's been played - there's the College and Lowell field, Leawood Middle School (soccer fields, football field, inbetween LMS and LES), Robbie's front yard (although no longer), the empty lot next to Gurba's house, Leawood city park or whatnot (durring senior picnic, and a game which I didn't play in because I'm stupid), the US Fed District Courthouse field (well, it's inbetween that, and DOT and City Hall and something else) which is really cool and we're definatly playing there again. I've played at BVN's soccer and football fields, as well as the natural prarie grass field (actually next to the prarie grass but whatever, just the field in front of BVN near 123rd and Lamar)... which is all I know of for KC. As for Iowa, we've played at Frederickson Green, the band practice field (yardlines are interesting), RCA Free Speech Area (home of the night game at ISU), and the RCA loop courtyard (interesting since it wasn't really big enough and had sidewalks and bushes and trees and lampposts).

Now if only people from UIUC, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and such would get on, we'd almost have a comprehensive list.
Sumobob2

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's been played at various places in Rhode Island. It's also been played somewhere in Boston, in addition to on the Boston Commons itself. So crumpets has officially gone colonial.

Allen Fieldhouse is very good for its findeability, its well-known-edness, and it's high profile-ness. It's good because of its proximity to good parking (especially on Sunday afternoons when the parking garage is free). It's also a good place to keep playing because, frankly, everyone knows we'll be playing there. I'm not really against moving, and I'd like to try it at Fraser sometime. One of the nicest things about staying put is that I don't have to contact everyone and tell them we're going to be playing at Fraser.

But the Fraser lawn is nice, and it's conveniently located in the middle of campus (although I don't know how much attention we'll get from passersby on a Sunday afternoon on Campus). It is a place where we won't be able to play on Weekdays until late evening, because of parking and not being able to drive on campus.

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, you missed one. We unsucessfully "played" at my house some time last year (whenever it was that Leslie came to visit - um...we went to see a movie afterwards....matrix?) Anyways, while it didn't work that well, we did play at my house - thus another Kansas venue
SombraAla
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true, Shell's house was a crumpet venue - but we probably won't be back there any time soon. Now - is crumpets being played in Des Moines? That is the question.
melruth

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't I heard of a crumpets game in Murphy Hall?

Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, another venue is Dr. Paul's backyard. (Dr. Paul being Dr. Paul Stevens, KU horn professor). I was invited to the annual end-of-the-year horn party at dr. Paul's. We playd crumpets in his backyard. With horn players. And kids. It was fun. THe horn players were crazy/serious, which was kind of scary.

The BEST part of it were the kids. They absolutely LOVED it!! Stephen, one of Dr. Paul's neighbor kids (I'm guessing 7-8 yrs old) said at the end, "This was the best party EVER! Are you guys coming back next year? Can I come?" It was sooo cute. What was even better was that all the team names were chosen by the children (there were 4 of them: 2 second graders and 2 fourth graders(?)). So the names were pretty hilarious.

Also, Smiley died. That was the saddest part of the evening. He had a run-in with a rose bush. And that was partly my fault. sniff sniff. I'm going to miss you, Smiley!!!!!

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you saved Smiley's remains. I think it would be fitting to mount a Smiley and Cross-Sticks (a la Skull and Cross-Bones) on Robbies mantle : )

I'm sure we have some crumpet sticks that are ready to be retired also.

Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Night crumpets Reply with quote

I think we're forgetting the many night games played in Robbie's front yard. I believe those may have stopped around the time I ran into that tree (although that may have had more to do with the way I play than the lack of light).
mad

Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also been played in my backyard in manhattan (ks) and near pottorf hall in cico park, also in manhattan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Crumpets Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: