FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index FieldCrumpets Talk
Everything there is to talk about Field Crumpets (And then some)

FAQFAQ   Search   Memberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

'Tis but a flesh wound!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Crumpets Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SombraAla
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to give semi-permanent bumps to two people now... I just hope this doesn't become more of a trend.

At this point, though, I'd like to point out that not everyone gets seriously injured playing Crumpets. In fact, most don't - many have played near hundreads of games without getting hurt at all. Others can manage to get seriously injured within one or two games - the point is, that it's not the game but how you play it that can help determine whether or not you get injured. Sure - there are times when it is out of your control, but in my particular case - I know that it's the way I play that causes me to get hurt that much. It's a sort of mentality that I won't settle than my best effort - and my best effort is one that may get me injured from time to time.
ku packman

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it wasn't you that gave me the bump Greg. I take full responsibility for kicking that ball, so it was my own fault. It was just you who made slide-kicks fashionable.

For an update of the bump... it's definitely different than Robbie's lump. Swelling has gone down considerably since last night, but I ice it for about 7 hours. The size of the bump is still the same, but it feels more tender than squishy now. I do have a small bruise there, too... which I'm guessing is a surface bruise on top of the bump.. but maybe it's a leak of a deeper bruise? Ick!

Justin, thanks for the anatomy lesson! Is there a way I can just FedEx the nutrients to get it there faster? After I read about the lymph nodes stuff... the hypochondriac in me was convinced that my neck glands were all tingling. I swear, I think I'm gonna die from this

I'm surprised my legs haven't seceded from my body this week. First, I make them hike 25 miles through rain and poison ivy, where they got blisters and tick bites. Then I give then a crazy impact injury. I think I'm lucky just to be walking...

Greg and Justin, I hope you guys are getting better, too!
Visit poster's website
SombraAla
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grin* Oh, I don't think it's my _fault_ but you did need to run into someone to get a bump, and it happened to be me. As for slides, the particular maneuver you performed is more associated with Rob than me, since you didn't have a stick at the time.
jgramarye

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Greg in that I'm (primarily) responsible for my own injuries. Back when I started playing racquetball, the only way I could hold my own against the other guys was by being acrobatic, doing the dive rolls, bending over backwards, and (literally) bouncing off the walls.
Later, when I joined Crumpets, most of the moves and responses transferred automatically. I don't get hurt because Crumpets is really a contact sport, I get hurt because I personally play it kamikaze-style.
On the other hand, the bat to the throat was NOT my fault.

As for FedExing nutrients directly to the bump, how would you address the package?

Justin

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the address would be easy:

Place that Hurts
Swollen Bump
Lower Left Leg
Patrick Nuss

if FedEx can send a box to China by tomorrow, they can easily send nutrients or something to my frickin' leg.
Visit poster's website
ku packman

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been almost a week, so I'd thought I'd give a status report on the big bump. Almost a week later, it is what I (not a doctor) would like to call a bruise. The bruise finally showed up this weekend and the dark spot is roughly 2.5 inches in diameter. That's also about how big the bump is too, but it's lost a lot of height. It's almost not even discernible as a bump really. It still hurts a bit when I move around, but I think I could be ready to go for some crumpets on Tuesday. It is getting better, slowly. But, luckily for me, not as slowly as Robbie's.
Visit poster's website
El Scriv

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say something about this earlier, but it's been a bit of a busy week =/

The closest you'll prolly get to a Nutriet FedEx is to massage the area around yer bump there. Motion is what works the lymph system, and it also increases blood flow.

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've suffered one crumpets-related concussion and multiple shots to the face in the course of my career. The concussion was near the end of this winter, after we had that fairly impressive snow. It had all but melted, and the ground was deliciously wet and puddly (you all know how I love thos puddles). I was running after the ball, I guess (it gets a little hazy) and I slipped and fell, hitting my head on one of the few remaining patches of ice on the field. I guess I blacked out or something, because when I stood up, my team had scored. I was pretty disoriented for the rest of the day, and I couldn't recall a single thing that happened during those games in the proper order. It was weird.
As for the shots to the face, I seem to be a magnet for crumpets. It doesn't seem like we can end a session until I've been hit in the face by a crumpet. I swear, my glasses are ruined by virtue of crumpets alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Crumpets Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: